BlueSilverShift & DealerVu. SOM in the Cloud.
The Story of How a Partnership Should Work.
Harley-Davidson, BRP, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha … you may have heard of these names before. Operating dealerships that work with these companies all have a business need for software to connect their internal departments together. DealerVu created the Dealership Management System (DMS) that these companies depend on.
They promise to provide their customers with innovative and integrated technology solutions that deliver a distinct competitive advantage. The company is always looking for ways to more effectively capture, analyze and use data to drive the day-to-day operations of a modern dealership.
DealerVu had a developed a plan to build and implement new cloud-based inventory management products to be architected to serve their DMS.
They knew that a software product like this should be built in the public cloud, but also that their cloud development experience was limited. This didn’t mean they couldn’t do it, only that finding the right partner would allow them to deliver faster, learn quicker and leverage both the successes and mistakes of others during the process. They approached BlueSilverShift (BSS) because they had heard great things about the success of some of our past cloud projects and were intrigued.
They had some specific requirements:
- The product would need to be scalable and robust
- The team would need to fit with the demanding business culture of DealerVu
- Protection of their intellectual property had to be a priority
- They would only consider working with a partner that provided a clear plan for knowledge transfer
- Future support and enhancements of the product would be done in-house
BSS has developed a repeatable framework and playbook for application development and modernization specifically for independent software vendors (ISVs) like DealerVu. Our focus is on driving the value of the product by systematically building expertise and knowledge from project to project while keeping everything about our client’s intellectual property (IP) safe and confidential. We know that these are essential ingredients to the success of both BSS and our clients.
Whether it’s modernizing an existing application or creating a new one from scratch, we know how to maximize ROI in the cloud. We focus on ROI from the beginning of a project (during requirements gathering) through process and design, architecting, developing and testing all the way to launch, training and handoff.
John Dobson – BSS Co-Founder
- During initial discovery, one of the first things we did was compare different public cloud offerings to ensure that they were selecting the right platform. Even though we specialize in building Azure solutions, we pride ourselves on our client-centric approach to strategic planning and believe this is an important step in the process.
We always take an agnostic approach when comparing public cloud options. If it turns out that Azure is not the right fit for the client, we are not afraid to introduce them to an alternate partner. When we recommend Azure, we want it to be for the right reasons for the client, not for BSS.
Craig Slack – BSS Co-Founder
- Because of DealerVu’s existing Microsoft licensing agreements and in-house knowledge, Azure was the clear winner over Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- BSS and DealerVu then began working together to define requirements for the application that was to be developed and hosted on Azure.
- Acceptance criteria was jointly established for completing each phase of the project.
- APIs were built by BSS for data ingestion from DealerVu DMS around the globe.
- A framework built on the initial product’s business logic was inserted into functions as standalone APIs/applications.
- The team then implemented a scalable data solution for the new product that leverages Azure and PaaS.
- Training and documentation were created for the DealerVu DevOps team in order to set them up to bring development and support in-house.
- The core governance and cost containment processes and scripts were implemented for their newly created Azure cloud infrastructure.
- Recommendations and best practices for cloud implementation, management and governance were documented and provided to the DealerVu team.
- The BSS team assisted in overcoming obstacles along the way and brought in additional resources when needed.
Results (A happy, ongoing partnership)
DealerVu could not be happier with the partnership that has developed with BSS. They are so happy in fact, that although the plan is still to take future development in house, BSS consultants are still invaluable members of the DealerVu product team.
Super SOM is the name of one new product. It has been released and is currently in Beta with Harley-Davidson and BRP. DealerVu has big plans for its future in the DMS industry and industry heavyweights are taking notice!
The BlueSilvershift team has been very resourceful at each stage of the project, coming up with new ideas to maximize value and ensuring they’re always there to help out. Their depth of knowledge about everything Cloud and everything Microsoft is amazing.”
“They are truly like members of our team. We love their attitude. They like what they do and know their stuff!
Sergei Drigola – DealerVu
Microsoft Services Used:
- Azure API Management service
- Azure App Service
- Azure Application Insights
- Azure Automation
- Azure Batch
- Azure Data factory (V2)
- Azure Disk
- Azure DNS
- Azure Key vault
- Azure Networking
- SendGrid for Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Azure SQL database
- Microsoft SQL server
- Azure Storage
- Azure Traffic Manager
- Azure Virtual Machines