Proof of Concept. Resource Access Modernization. QuadReal Property Group.
Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, QuadReal Property Group is a Canadian real estate investment, development and management company operating on a global scale.
The company’s $24.5 billion portfolio spans 23 Global Cities across 17 countries. Owned by British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI), one of Canada’s largest institutional investors, QuadReal was established to manage BCI’s real estate investment portfolio.
QuadReal has users around the globe, and everyone needs access to the company’s data, which is located in a data centre in Calgary, AB. Latency can become a major issue for users when they are accessing this data offsite. The issue becomes more pronounced the farther away from Calgary the users are.
Common issues include:
- connectivity delays
- service interruptions
- file corruption
- application crashes
- Poor performance
- Concerns over stability and fault tolerance
- Not accessible outside of corporate network
The company has a preference for not supporting physical IT Infrastructure whenever possible. The desire is to use the cloud to bring data closer to users to alleviate concerns and issues.
BlueSilverShift completed a proof of concept for QuadReal that focused on providing the best value for their business and experience for their users. We proposed a solution that would move their data from the Calgary data centre to Microsoft Azure Files (using Blob Storage). Highlights of this solution include:
- The stored data will be replicated using Microsoft Azure Files
- The replicated files will be deployed to strategic Azure regions around the world close to the end users to reduce latency
- Users will be able to connect (on demand) to the closest file server
- No additional physical infrastructure is required at the regional offices
Implementing this strategy would greatly reduce the latency and data corruption issues that is experienced by users. It will make the business more efficient and employees happier.
BlueSilverShift exists to help businesses meet their objectives. And we do this within the constraints set out by our clients.
In the case of QuadReal, we architected and demonstrated the proof of concept solution described in this case study which provided the following:
- Blob storage was set up in Microsoft Azure’s Canada Central data centre
- Windows File Servers with Azure Files were deployed in 3 locations
- East Asia
- Users were able to have mapped drives so their method of accessing files didn’t need to change, and no end user training would be required
The next step for BlueSilverShift is to work with QuadReal to assess the feasibility and timing of implementing the full solution worldwide.