Azure Cloud Migration
a case study
Our client, a local of a large labour union came to us to help them migrate their on premises hardware to the cloud.
- They were using isolated and costly Windows 7 virtual machines for their internal development environment (VM’s)
- Their on-premises hardware was nearing end of life and required costly ongoing capacity upgrades
- The team was also concerned by the fact that their previous hardware was susceptible to major issues because they experienced a complete system outage in 2018 and can’t afford to have it happen again
BSS was originally engaged to move them to the cloud. After working with their team a strategy and implementation plan was created. The initial migration included:
- The setup of a net new Azure Active Directory, as part of the existing Active Directory, replacing the previous on-premises Domain Controllers
- Virtual Machines were migrated from the previous Hyper-V Environment
- Networking Subnets (New VPN and Azure Network) were created
- A VM Backup and quick recovery plan was implimented
- Consolidated Virtual Desktops were created for their internal development environment and remote users
- Windows 7 systems were consolidated into Microsoft Terminal Services
The local is now benefiting from the power of the cloud and saving money with Azure.
- We have effectively helped them reduce both server complexity and cost base for their development environment
- BSS continues to work with them as their managed service provider and always looking for new ways to maximize the value of Azure